[Design-team] www.fpo content review

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:04:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:20:45AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:48:32PM +0200, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > Just wanted to say that I've started a wiki page [1] for a content
> > review of the current www.fpo page. Everyone's free to track it and
> > change/add/corrent stuff as they like. Of course there's the
> > discussion page if you to let me know something. :)
> >
> > Jef
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Schendje/FPOcontent/
>
> We should probably be referring back to the mockups Mairin did a while
> back and revising where necessary to get them more in line with the
> spins.fp.o design and other recently mocked-up designs.
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page1.png
>
> Some changes that I would like to explore to this mockup:
>
> * Revising the footer to match spins.fp.o.  I think the spins.fp.o
>   footer came along after this www.fp.o mockup was originally
>   completed.  It's far superior, and provides lots of useful
>   information and a lightweight site map.
>
> * Providing an appropriate element somewhere to drive interested
>   traffic to Red Hat as our sponsor.  The footer contains an element
>   for this, but I think we can do something more prominent (without
>   overwhelming any of the other page elements).
>
> * Settle the panda question. :-)
>
> * We need people to provide more content for the rotating stories on
>   the page.  I think there's a neglected ticket for this here:
>   https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/12
>
> * Use the fonts on which the Design team ultimately settles.  (And by
>   the way, we should use the special HTTP content magic that allows
>   Firefox to auto-provide fonts for people who don't have them
>   installed.)
>
> This overall design is still sound, do people agree we can start here
> rather than from scratch?  There may be other things we can revisit in
> this mockup, too.  The list above might not be complete.  But the page
> as a whole still seems very much in line with the way that the
> fp.o/get-fedora and spins.fp.o pages have evolved.  So starting here
> means we'd have a pretty unified site until such time as someone wants
> to do another redesign.

I forgot to note one other issue worth revisiting:

* The site slogan.  Originally Mo and I just cast about for "Free your
  computer."  As I recall we were both thinking, it might be good not
  to have to re-do a website slogan every release.  This text is just
  a placeholder.  It wasn't meant to be a decree for a new slogan.

  Given how easy Inkscape makes things, and the fact that our slogans
  are required to be short (and thus shouldn't run into formatting
  problems), maybe this isn't an issue and we can replace the banner
  each release.