[Design-team] Our weekly meetings

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Jul 22 06:08:20 UTC 2010

On 07/22/2010 12:31 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Now that we've had 7 [1] weekly team meetings (wow! lol) over the past
> couple of months, I am wondering how everyone thinks things are going.
> Do you think the meetings are running well? Do you think we could
> improve how we run them? Do you think the agendas are too full? Are we
> trying to take too much work on?

One of the things that worries me the most is long-time contributors
participated maybe once or twice  and not returned... I am genuinely
curious why: the time is bad, the meetings are not interesting to them,
we are turning to bureaucratic, corporate-like, it ws just a coincidence
(we all have busy life), etc. I'm not pointing fingers, would be happy
to have a private chat with my friends on this topic.

> Are you able to make the meetings? Are you going? If not, how come? Is
> there anything we could change about the meetings to make them easier
> for you to attend?
>
> How can we make the meetings more fun?

I noticed almost every time after the meeting ends some people remain on
the channel and the talk continues is a much relaxed way. If the meeting
is labeled as a "meeting" this does not means for that time slot we
should act more formal, we can be ourselves all the time, so what the
conversation is logged and published?

Is this after the meeting part a compensation for us having the schedule
full and not managing to get to the "open floor" part almost never?

> LOL lots of questions! But I want to start a little discussion here. If
> the meetings suck, let's talk about it and make them better. If they are
> okay, we can keep continuing them.
>
> Anyway, I'm really sorry if the meetings are too boring; I'm not very
> experienced at running meetings so I'm hoping we can make them a bit
> more fun and useful in the future!

Actually there is one more thing that worries me and I may seem obsessed
about it: I don't want the team to break in two "circles", working at
different speeds, the "inner circle" with people who take part in IRC
meeting and the rest... IRC is just a tool to get some things done
faster and to better socialize[*], we MUST keep everyone else in the loop.

[*] as a matter of fact, I think we should do more socializing at those
meetings, even if we do less work done.