[Design-team] MgOpen Modata & accents

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:29:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:43:17PM +0200, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> 2010/6/5 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> >>
> >> The whole MgOpen not having accents thing has bugged me since my
> >> development of fedora-business-cards, where I used Máirín's FAS
> >> information as a test to see if my code worked with Unicode.
> >>
> >> But anyway. You'll never guess what I have in the brand guidelines draft
> >> I'm working on. :)
> >>
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ianweller/Brand_guidelines_(draft)#Fonts
> >>
> >> We could use either Liberation or Droid. It matters not to me.
> >
> > I would word it more strongly than that, I would say it's meant to be a
> > titling font, for secondary wordmarks, and for accents/callout, and body
> > text should be $whatever-good-body-font-we-pick.
> >
> > I really like Droid Sans...
> >
> I agree, Droid-fonts are really great :) And a Modata-like font for headlines :)

+1 for that here, too -- find a Modata-like font with more
accent/diacritical coverage(*) for headlines, and use Droid Sans for
body text.

I think it's worth pointing out that the Fedora Desktop SIG has been
discussing moving Fedora 14 to default to Droid Sans, assuming some
remaining issues are worked out.

* * *
(*) That's what's meant by glyphs, right?  Character coverage?