[Design-team] Concepts for F14

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 21 17:10:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 15:10 -0400, Kyle Baker wrote:
> Hi Design Friends,
> In the last email I was inspired by the project name Laughlin and the phrase ' The whole is more than the sum of its parts.' I saw this as an opportunity to push the visual concept of cut and paste. Replication of the same simple shape to make a very complex design. How far can you push it. Something as simple as a line can be pushed pretty far. Here are some links:
>
> http://ffffound.com/image/f66c6f2b56f058f65f07de831ff41764c7a9d726

This one reminds me of a Tara Donovan piece I saw last year at the
Boston ICA:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnpham/3026572232/
http://lookintomyowl.com/images/tara_donovan-untitled.jpg
http://www.artadox.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Eye-grabbing-sculpture-by-Tara-Donovan.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kstrahmx/3784886047/

She basically took these long, long plastic/film sheets and dumped them
in a glass box... it has a similar effect.

A lot of her pieces are one type of ordinary household kind-of objects
repeated many times to make striking single objects:

Plastic cups:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lartelove/126162356/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marklogan/115245668/

Scotch tape: