[Design-team] 19 Oct 2010 Design team meeting minutes

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Oct 20 08:40:51 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 04:05:20 am Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey everybody!
>
> - We did have an issue with the size of the animated wallpapers causing
> some issues so it won't be set as default. One idea we discussed was
> maybe trying for a partially-transparent wallpaper for F15, and doing
> the time of day via gradient switches underneath. However, the slideshow
> XML format doesn't support this. Now might be a good time to put in for
> an RFE? One thing tho is GNOME 3 is going to be default for F15, so I'm
> not sure if slideshows will be supported then.

I think there's time to completely throw this XML. I was thinking about Plasma
implementation but the overall XML design is bad, same implementation (maybe
it changed) is really hackish. I can dig all comments from Plasma guys (or
better aseigo :D) to not repeat mistakes. It would be great to have just one
theme for both Gnome/Shell/Plasma desktops in Fedora = less work for packagers,
more freedom. On the other hand - Plasma is somehow overengineered and proper
implementation there is nightmare too :D

But for the futere - Shell is going to be scriptable, Plasma is scriptable (both
using JavaScript) and this offers very nice possibilities to play with
background! Any ideas? ;-)

Thanks for transcripts! Bad time for me to catch meetings :(

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275