[Design-team] Owners and (Co) Maintainers Email Meeting #4 [PUBLIC VERSION]--September 10, 2010

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 14 15:45:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 09:33 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 09/11/2010 10:50 PM, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Nicu Buculei  wrote:
> >> -1 to having application icons on the desktop, they are in the menu and
> >> if the users want them on the desktop, it is trivial.
> >
> > I added this icon in the first place to enable people to access
> > further resources. I feel that Mo's introduction of Inkscape to
> > students is a resource we should link to (for those who don't know:
> > http://opensource.com/education/10/4/introducing-open-source-middle-school).
> > I'd like to see us expanding that - whether these links should be on
> > the desktop or in the browser or some other place is certainly
> > debatable, though. :)
>
> IMO, a default cluttered desktop makes us feel like OEMs adding tons of
> crapware on their Windows pre-installs.

I think as Sebastian mentioned, they are there because I've been using
the spin primarily for teaching students (some quite young) Inkscape and
other free graphics tools. I'm starting a new program next month with
the Girl Scouts in Boston.

The reason is primarily so the students see right away what apps they
are supposed to use, but I think if we can do custom menus maybe that
would be better than desktop icons? Eg. I think some of the tools show
up in accessories, some in office, some in graphics, some in sound &
video. It might be nicer to have a designer-centric menu layout?

There is also a folder on the desktop with desktop icons to link out to
tutorials. I wish there was a better way to present these; would be nice
if they could be linked from within the specific apps.