[Design-team] Fedora 15 Wallpaper -- Package Ready but Problems Ahead

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 10:18:17 UTC 2011

On Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:02:50 am Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:49:39 +0100
>
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > No,
> > that's not that reason, the reason is - I don't have time to support
> > it properly for Alpha. I really wish to make it there! Maybe I can
> > try a quick hack but we need more than just wallpaper - KDM theme,
> > KSplash theme (at least that 'sed'ed one as last year and then work
> > on final one).
>
> Oups, sorry I misunderstood.

Np, I try to find some time, actually I've already started but I have to prepare
for my Developer Conference talks... Are you coming to Brno? ;-)

> Yet the issue Kevin mentioned remains, I
> hope he doesn't mind if I quote his words: 'Personally, I'm worried
> about the reception:
> * by upstream GNOME, seeing a derivative of their wallpaper on other
> desktops,
> * by the other desktops' upstreams,
> * by third parties: reviewers, other distributions etc., due to the
> message this sends ("Fedora 15 is a GNOME 3 distribution").'

Yes, I saw this. And that leads to my idea of sharing brand with upstreams
(spamming Design team for a few years with it ;-) - this is great first step -
sharing brand with Gnome, so I asked for [1].

Actually, Fedora is not a Gnome 3 distro only, we'd like to have Unity with Adam
in Fedora 15 too :) Not sure it's possible but would be great to have it. I
still think that Shell and Plasma are just reference implementation on top of
some platform and we should do the same as Canonical with Unity - build Fedora
user experience on one of these Platforms.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/176

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>