[Design-team] F15 wallpaper 0-day update

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:28:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:10:11 -0400
Máirín Duffy wrote:

> This team is what matters, I really don't care what outsiders think.

Those who are outsiders now are potential future contributors. If we
look like constantly fighting with desktop team and even our leader we
aren't going to attract new contributors :-(

> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 18:05 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>
> > Well, I'd say, for me they're both equally important. We are
> > promoting doing design the opensource way, so the process should be
> > very important to us.
>
> A key feature of any process though it that it actually WORKS. If it
> relies on people stepping up to help each other and they are not, the
> process is not working. Release after release after release it is the
> same story, and quite frankly I am tired of it.
The current wallpaper works, if I'd compared it to software, it has less
bugs than KDE 4.0 had and we shipped that one as well ;-); the process
clogs on not having enough people being able/apt to contribute to
wallpaper design (frankly, for me wallpaper is way beyond my skills, so
I at least try to help a little with the wiki pages management,
packaging and feedback).

Looking at it realistically: yes, short-time the end product is more
important, but long-time if the process is broken, there's bound to
appear a case when the end product fails (which IMHO isn't F15 -- we
produced two rather fine-looking wallpapers, even though one of them
would certainly profit from little polishing). Hence I put them on
equal terms.

Martin