[Design-team] Logo: FUDcon Blacksburg

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 15 12:04:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 07:08 -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> Tickets are already open, a while ago, but stop until logo is aproved
> by Ben.

Except for the logo one which was closed. (now reopened)

>         It seems a lot of discussion has been happening about this
>         (and other fudcon-related projects) outside of the ticket
>         system so the automated ticket comment notifications would not
>         have been much help. (I'm just as guilty of this as anybody
>         else.

> Not too much really, with FUDcon India I have been only help, local
> team has done everything, same with Milan. With Blacksburg we have
> time, but things have been a bit rush (for logo and after people give
> their feedback) flyers since Ben want to make a campaing at Vtec fast
> (a couple in fact).

A lot of discussion (that I was involved in) took place on IRC and via
email that wasn't written up in the ticket, which confused me later --
even though I was part of the discussions in the first place, I didn't
remember everything. I am suggesting a process to avoid similar problems
in the future. Had a responsible party (which I understand now did not
exist) taken ownership of the ticket and took the time to take the notes
(either sent in the ticket or here to the list) then we would not have
had this confusion over the status of the Blacksburg logo in the first
place.

The local Pune & Milan teams did a good job of sending logo designs to
this list for approval; there were folks identified to be responsible
for the designs to make sure they happened and they did (Suchakra &
Samuele.) This is the general way things should happen, I think.
However, this was not the case with Blacksburg, which is why I am
suggesting that in the future we identify someone responsible and why I
took ownership of the ticket.

That's all. I know your time is precious (as all of our time is) so I
want to solve the problem when I see work duplicated that could have
been avoided.

> Same with other meetings, everyone is invited as I said, I have only
> been atent to other tasks since mine where finish or solved by other
> team members.

It goes without saying that everyone is invited to a meeting in Fedora
and that not all of us have the luxury of time / position on the planet
to attend them all; it's appreciated when folks who have the time to do
so also take the time to pass information along to those of us who do
not so we can still participate.

>         Should we be treating the ticket system as the canonical place
>         to have
>         discussions then? I see discussions scattered across this
>         mailing list,
>         IRC, other mailing lists, and even Google Docs (I think this
>         is a very
>         bad habit and is not open source)... it makes it harder for
>         folks to
>         participate or even just follow along when it's not clear
>         what's going
>         on and where it's happening.

> That's Milans particular issue, even if everyone wanted to dialogue
> with them and make them use the regular channels, has been almost
> imposible. I only got Samuele to send a mail to all mail list after he
> went back from vacations, updates are on the mail list already. The
> rest has been openly, and I hope Blacksburg be too.

This is a problem.

> Yeah, that's why I have post everymail list, blogs and more, to get
> feedback beyond our mail list, tickets and more. Once again, I'm sorry
> if I made a mistake.

Thank you, it has certainly moved the ticket forward. You did exactly
the right thing; there was no ticket, no assigned owner, no status
update so you did the very best thing you could do. I am sorry for my
initial confusion as there were emails I was sure had been sent to this
list; when I looked them up I saw the list was removed from the CC for
some reason.