[Design-team] Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 21 02:24:27 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-20 16:27, Dan Mashal wrote:
> Then maybe we should have a vote on it just like we did with release
> names? Maybe we should do more voting on more major changes? Maybe we
> should make it a full democracy instead of the engineering team
> decides is "better for the novice user" when they don't even
> communicate with the novice user.

Dan, I'd like to kindly and respectfully ask that you stop referring to
Fedora's target user as a 'novice' user. This is not Fedora's user base.
I have pointed this out to you in IRC in a private chat some days/weeks
ago and I have pointed this out to you earlier in the thread. Let's not
muddy the waters and confuse the conversation by continuing to bring
this up, as it's just not reflective of the reality of Fedora's actual
user base:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base

Let's try to refer to this more frequently so we can have a more
productive / fruitful discussion here, okay?

(BTW the user base was not determined by engineering or FESCO, it is
the purview of the Board and they came up with it.)

On your point about voting - we don't vote on decisions like this. We
are not elected officials on the design team like the governing bodies
of FESCO and FAMSCO and the Fedora Board, so we don't really have
authority to vote on decisions like that.