[Design-team] Redesigning start.fpo (again)

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 6 00:06:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
<kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:
>
> * turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
> ** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
> links which will make it easy for user to install the app
There would probably be an other app for that. Not sure.

> ** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
> will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
Do you really want to see that everytime you open a new tab?

> ** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o
This tell me that we are susceptible to have problems… Are we? :)

That will clearly be a noob start page :)
We spoke about contributor/end user start page. The redesign could
take lot of time/development to have something to fit all.

What I propose is first some small changes, but if someone could came
with a brilliant idea/mockup…

> 2012/3/6 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
>>
>> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
>> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
>> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
>> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
>> Fedora.
>>
>> So some folks seem to be using it.

Nice :) Hence this is not wrong actually.
But if we keep that, we could remove the date… It's always in an 24h
slot, not really useful I think

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)