[Design-team] Fedora swag!

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Tue Jun 25 21:13:48 UTC 2013

On 06/25/2013 12:48 PM, inode0 wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:

>>>   From my perspective selling things to Fedora contributors that we
>>> freely give away to random people at other events just doesn't feel
>>> right. We have given FUDCon attendees lanyards in the past and we
>>> probably have enough leftover Fedora branded USB sticks from the Red
>>> Hat Summit to give every Flock attendee one if we think that is a good
>>> use of the leftovers (which I do).
>>
>> I understand this, and the purpose of this thread was not to imply that we
>> are going tp stop giving away the free stuff, but more just an exploration
>> of the items we could produce. I would definitely pay money for an few extra
>> fedora lanyards or higher capacity fedora branded USB drive (even if i get
>> both of these for free in the swag bag) I would especially have no issues
>> spending this extra cash if proceeds went into helping fund getting
>> contributors to flock itself!
> So now I'm getting the impression we might be charging contributors
> more than the items cost to raise money for some purpose?! I don't see
> how that purpose could be attendance at Flock since we won't know how
> much will be raised until after the items are sold at Flock.
You are reading too much into this. as i stated before, this thread was
merely intended to be "just an exploration of the items we could produce"

> Probably the design list isn't the place to ask but since you seem to
> know more than anyone else I've asked what is your understanding of
> the purpose of selling items to contributors beyond letting
> contributors get merchandise they would like to have?

The purpose of this thread was purely to start a brainstorm of ideas for
swag items, and i assumed the creative minds on the design-team list
would be able to help me out with some ideas. (which they have
brilliantly so far)

>   Is it to raise
> money? Who exactly is doing the selling? Do we need to deal with local
> tax collection? Do we need any sort of license to sell merchandise in
> South Carolina? Needless to say I have concerns about this process.
The previous comment i made "I would especially have no issues spending
this extra cash if proceeds went into helping fund getting contributors
to flock itself!" was purely my personal opinion as a Fedora
contributor, that IF there was swag to buy, and IF the proceeds went to
getting more contributors to the conference, i would have no qualms
about it.

regards,
ryanlerch