[Design-team] design.next - FAD 2015

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 20 18:22:29 UTC 2014

Hi William,

On 08/20/2014 01:34 PM, William Moreno wrote:
> It could be really nice for Latam región is someone of the design team
> come to Fudcon Latam, even we can run a FAD inside the Fudcon (or
> hacking if you prefer). We have many ambassador and packager than want
> to come to Fudcon Latam, but we are missing for someone of the desing team.

> Someone will like to suport a Design Workshop in Fudcon Latam or a FAD?
> It could be really cool in we can merge both in Fudcon so many people
> will come asking about how to join the Fedora Project and Desing can be
> a good start point.

I think if a designer in the LATAM region can make it, that's a good
idea. I think though, to fly everyone to LATAM for this FAD would be too
cost-prohibitive (and it would be difficult for folks like me and Ryan
with babies at home - for example I can't leave home for more than 3
days right now without extra support and logistics because of my child
care situation.)

Also, one of the key weaknesses the design team has right now that
gnokii mentioned that we need to solve at that FAD is the best way to
on-board new folks. I agree with you that a LATAM-based FAD would be a
fantastic venue to recruit and on-board new contributors, but the
problem is we don't currently have a good way to recruit and keep those
contributors around on the design team and we need to figure that part
out first. Otherwise, we'll get new recruits but won't have any way to
manage them. :(

I hope this makes sense?