[Design-team] multi monitor wp in Nuancier

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 29 21:13:40 UTC 2015

Hey gnokii -

On 07/29/2015 09:06 AM, S.Kemter wrote:
> What it means for us as Design Team means, we have to decide if we want
> to provide dual or multi-monitor wallpaper for the default wallpaper and
> then produce just one picture large enough and the user can go to
> Nuancier and get the right resolutions by them self.

So we chatted about this in IRC earlier today, and here's my understanding:

- The default wallpaper process as we do it right now (provide single
monitor version of the wallpaper in 5:4, 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 and package
it) would still be the same

- When we create the default wallpaper, though, we'd design it with the
possibility of (at least) dual screens in mind, and we'd render it at an
additional size large enough for multiple monitor layouts to be created
from it.

- The multiple-monitor version of the default wallpaper wouldn't be
shipped in the f$version-backgrounds packages, but instead would be
'shipped' via nuancier itself and we would point people to nuancier as
the place to get it and to customize it for their particular monitor set up.

Is that an accurate representation of the idea?

If so I think it's a great idea. The question would be at what size
should we render the multi-monitor version of the default wallpaper for
nuancier?

> So for a dual setup we would have to provide a picture 5120x2560 that
> would cover, two monitors of 2560x2048 resolution and even would cover
> one in portrait mode. If we want to provide a triple monitor setup it
> would be 7680x2560

Maybe we could start at dual - rendering to 5120x2560 - by default and
see how people use it. If we get enough usage and requests for triple
monitor, maybe then we could reconsider making it 7680x2560 then? (I
think 4k monitors might start becoming more used in the coming years as
well and that might change things down the line.) But I think starting
small and seeing what the feedback is might be the best way to go.

> But there are more open questions, do we want to allow user
> contributions there or do we just to make as section where we produce
> some wallpapers for it? If we want to make user contributions possible
> then is the question, how to deal with it, I personally think the a
> release submission phase will not work for this kind of wallpaper. There
> might be only one or maybe two submissions in this way as you need
> stitched photographies. Leave as an always submission thing might be the
> better option but we would not have an mechanism we have with the
> election to ensure quality standards.

I think we'd need a section for the 'default' or 'official' wallpapers
to be separated from the user contribution section.

Since the multi-monitor wallpapers couldn't really be packaged and make
sense (since the cropping tool is in nuancier) I agree it doesn't make
sense to just have them in the normal supplemental process.

An alternative would be to have another section in nuancier that's for
user-contributed multi-monitor wallpapers only; maybe that would have a
workflow to it where we could provide feedback as a team and vet
wallpapers before they go live on the site for download? I agree it
doesn't make sense for it to be release-driven; maybe just keep it an
open thing and we review them as they come in. (Maybe nuancier emails
design-team list to let us know when a contribution is made that needs
review?)

> and there is one question more, for the normal supplemental wallpaper
> the Fedora logo is not allowed as they are packaged and could end up in
> a derivate of Fedora. But this is then just an online solution so do we
> want another rules setup for them or keep the one from supplemental
> wallpapers?

We do get more freedom here since they wouldn't be shipped. I personally
don't have an issue with folks contributing multi-monitor wallpapers
with the Fedora logo as long as we review them for adherence to the logo
usage guidelines and QA them before they go live on the site for anybody
to see and download. We might want to check with Fedora legal and just
make sure this is okay to do (but I can't see why not, honestly - as
long as the logo is used properly and we check this before it goes live,
I don't see why there would be a problem, so maybe this is completely
unnecessary.)