[Design-team] RFC: Designs of the fedora product flyers

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 2 17:13:15 UTC 2015

Hi Ankur,

On 06/02/2015 11:43 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> I'm working on flyers for the Fedora products on behalf of the
> marketing team.

Can you give us a little more context around the project? We talked
about this a little in our team meeting today, and for example - one
thing that came up is that the content is very release-specific and thus
not very 'timeless' in that if a large print run was done, the extras
wouldn't be able to be used for very long. Do you know what the plans
are in terms of printing process, quantities, regions, etc?

Just to illustrate where our thinking is coming from, I think a good
example of tri-fold brochures we've done in the past are the SXSW 2011
design software brochures that Emichan created -

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design/SXSW_Materials#Brochures

They talk about general / core features of different applications in
Fedora and the approach has made these flyers very reusable. (Which is
good, because our first print run was very large :) )

In contrast, I have a huge box full of Fedora 15 Design Suite DVDs I
can't bear to toss because I know how much they cost right next to my
desk at Red Hat - not quite so reusable :(

> Jiri, on the desktop list, said he received feedback that the front was
> too plain, and not attractive enough. Would you folks have some
> suggestions on how I could work on that? Maybe add a slogan to the
> front? The workstation is using "This is the Linux workstation that
> you've been waiting for." for F22, for example. (I don't think adding a
> screenshot or another image would improve it, personally.)

I recognize the basic design as resembling a very simple template I had
made some years ago for LibreOffice that could be updated easily by
non-designers. I think we could probably rebuild the template in Scribus
with a much nicer design to enable non-designers to be able to update
the content but still have a nicer look and feel. I would suggest once
we get a little more info about the background / goals / target audience
/ etc of the project that we could open up a design team ticket and have
a designer work on that for you?

Hope this helps,