[Design-team] F23 Wallpaper hackfest / Next week's meeting

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 07:54:26 UTC 2015

On 11/06/15 21:33, S.Kemter wrote:

> * lighthouse to get Flock represented in F23

Whatever you do, do *not* have a lighthouse as wallpaper.

Nearly a decade ago, while I was working at the big N, I used a
lighthouse for an alpha version of a default wallpaper for Novell Linux
Desktop (to somewhat later become “SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop”, aka:
“SLED”) and we had to switch it because there were numerous complaints
about it somehow being too “phallic”.

That’s totally not what I was going for... the thought never even
crossed my mind during the process. My manager then was happy with it as
well — until she started getting the complaints, of course.

(Both Tuomas Kousmanen and Jakub Steiner were also on the same team at
the time and can corroborate my story. The three of us *still* make
reference to the event, as a cautionary tale of completely unintended
interpretations.)

Anyway, I want to preemptively save Fedora from the controversy this
would inevitably cause.  (:

(BTW: I don’t have any similar tales for the wallpaper of Red Hat Linux
or the early versions of Fedora. The closest could be a person or two
complaining about me choosing of the color blue instead of red.
Naturally, a very solid, vivid red is not a good wallpaper color — and
red easily shifts to pink too. But this is a pretty tame anecdote, in
comparison.)

TL;DR: Do not use a lighthouse. People read meanings into things much
more than you might realize.

Cheers,
Garrett