[Design-team] Professional Graphic designer?

S.Kemter sirko.kemter at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:03:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On 19 May 2015 at 18:30, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>

>> I've tried using tools specifically made for UI design but all have
>> fallen short and been way too restrictive for my tastes. I don't like doing
>> wireframes in one app and then having to redo them completely to do a full
>> visual design; with inkscape i can do both in the same file.
>

> Believe me, Sketch is one of a kind. You can edit vector inside Sketch as
> it's vector editor too. But the tools and organization is more focused
> towards UI design rather than complex icon designs. I've never needed to
> redo my designs or adjust them in another tool, except raster images.
>

>> Not true, there's a new symbols feature now (works similar to how symbols
>> in Macromedia Flash work / worked.)
>>

> There is? In which version? And how do you use it?

Symbols are part of the SVG standard 1.1 since a long time, Inkscape
integrated it with version 0.91, so Fedora user can already use it.
Inkscape brings a set of symbol library as default stored under .../symbols
you can open the dialog with choosing object->symbols or Ctrl-Shift-Y and
just drag & drop in the needed one. Visio stencil files .vss can also be
used as symbol librarys.
The feature to convert a drawing into an symbol isnt integrated yet but
will come, but it can be done by hand

> On 19 May 2015 at 18:31, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>

>> There's quite a few of us who use the FLOSS tools without issue. The main
>> challenge is if you have to use spot colors; it's possible but a little
>> hacky. I find Inkscape and Gimp to be more feature-rich than their
>> proprietary cousins.
>

> That is true, but it's always good when things are easier to do. I find
> Inkscape much better when doing icons and stuff.

br gnokii

make me rich, buy my Inkscape book http://is.gd/yq5OD0 ;)