Gwibber by default?

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Fri Apr 2 17:47:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 10:46:22PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/20/2010 01:58 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > I'd like to add Gwibber to the LiveCD, and default install. What do
> > people think? Is there a better client available for GNOME? Do we have
> > room for it?
> >

> Have we considered Pino?  Gwibber and its couchdb + deps seems rather
> bloated to me.

The Gwibber deps seem a bit crazy at the moment, especially since we're
not even utilizing the desktop couch service for anything else (afaik).

Opening and closing Gwibber will launch these services and leave them
running behind the scenes:

     Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used   Program
    536.0 KiB + 582.0 KiB =   1.1 MiB   couchdb (4)
      2.2 MiB + 176.0 KiB =   2.4 MiB   couchjs
     12.9 MiB + 564.0 KiB =  13.5 MiB   desktopcouch-service
     20.1 MiB +   1.1 MiB =  21.2 MiB   gwibber-service
     32.8 MiB +   2.2 MiB =  34.9 MiB   beam.smp (2) (erlang)

Until we "buy in" to this desktop couch vision, I don't think we should
ship Gwibber by default (let alone have it leave these services running
after it closes).  It's also worth noting that Ubuntu is driving this
desktop couch vision, and will most likely be running
erlang/couchdb/desktop-couch out of the box on their desktops.

luke