Shotwell 0.5

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:25:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:50 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 06:27 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > I've just built shotwell 0.5 for F13, the build should show up in
> > updates-testing in a bit. This is the release that has all the features
> > that we wanted when we decided to make it the default photo app in the
> > desktop spin: upload to various web services, printing, tagging, etc.
> >
> > It would be great if the photo-minded among us could give it some
> > testing.
>
> I am not on Rawhide yet (I have a ton of things to do these days and
> can't afford to do this) but checked the website
> (http://trac.yorba.org/wiki/UsingShotwell0.5) to learn a bit about it.
>
> For me Shotwell fails the usefulness test very quickly as it has to
> "import" the photos, by copying them in the Pictures dir on my home. For
> me this is unworkable, as having tens of thousands of photos, summing
> hundreds of GB stored on external drives, I need to keep the files into
> place.

I haven't given it a shot either, but... I just cannot help but remind
you of mount --bind... But more seriously -- If you read the page more
throughout you'd know it actually does not need to copy the photos to
~/Pictures:

" If you hold down Ctrl+Shift while dragging photos in, Shotwell will
import the photos without copying them."

But indeed, at the very least on live spin, the default behaviour should
be to import the photos *without* copying them.

Regards,
Martin