sudo by default?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:15:30 UTC 2010

Just a general question. what is the advantage of typing sudo each
time for given commands on a "single user box"  instead of just doing
su (you dont even need any - anymore... we added sbin paths to the
PATH env var...) and entering the rootpass you know anyways on a
single user system.  Logging of commands etc is not a big issue on a
single user box. Basically it is just more typing to do and
autocompletion is also not that efficient anymore with default
settings (sbin paths!) as it was before. Just trying to understand
which problem we are trying to solve here. If that is the generic
default for the first user i hope this is only done on the desktop
spin and not on the dvd install. On a multiuser system i guess it is
not that wise to give additional priviledges for the first user by
default that are only supposed to be executed by the admin of the
machine. Just want to make sure it doesent slip in by accident.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl