Droid Sans

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:23:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 09:55 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> > Can someone tell me again, how exactly does Droid break Japanese desktop?
>>
>> Jens said in bugzilla that the problem he was seeing with Droid in F12
>> seems to be fixed in F13.
>>
>> So, I would say that we should include Droid in F14 early on (ie now).
>> If the mere inclusion still causes problems in some setups, we'll hear
>> about it.
>>
>> Does the shell have any theming mechanisms yet that allow us to make it
>> use Droid while staying with Dejavu for 'good old gnome' ?
>
> Do we actually want to enable it just for gnome-shell? Shouldn't the
> shell use the same font as the apps?

Yeah.  In GNOME 3 we only want to have one UI font that covers the
existing Desktop, Application, and Window Title font configurations.
For this our current favorite (of the free and easy category) is Droid
Sans.  For the Document font I'm not really sure where we use this
right now but might Liberation Sans be a better default choice for
document text than DejaVu?  It was designed to closely match the
details of another popular document font - in fact iirc by the same
designer/hinter as Droid.

For fixed width I have seen some objections to using Droid mono - I
wonder if we can get these comments to the upstream folks somehow.

Jon