Initial thoughts about F14 / GNOME3

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 20 01:07:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 09:01 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 19:51 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> 3) gnome-shell will be the designated user experience.
> >> It would also be good to start a discussion on the if/when/how of
> >> switching to the shell as the default user experience (on supported
> >> hardware).
> >
> > Are these the drivers we currently have that we expect should be able to
> > run gnome-shell reasonably ?
> >
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati
> > xorg-x11-drv-intel
> > xorg-x11-drv-nouveau
>
> And how is the fall back handled for all the other drivers that don't
> support decent speeds for 3D.

As others have noted, the list is broadly accurate, but nouveau is still
somewhat dicey at present; it'll work on many adapters, but not all.

For fallback, this may be interesting reading:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gallium3d_llvmpipe&num=1

(that's likely what'll get used in virt, too, I guess).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey