f14 and orca

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Oct 1 23:19:38 UTC 2010

  Hello,
Regarding orca not reading the contents of windows, etc (what leads to
orca only announcing key presses) I have a sort of solution.

Before saying what I needed to do, this fix will make orca still use
at-spi over corba. I know that the intention was to have fedora 14 use
at-spi over dbus but as time is running out, I have been unable to find
a solution using at-spi over dbus and there shouldn't be any difference
to the user at the moment (if anything at-spi-corba is more likely to be
reliable as at-spi-dbus is in early days), it may be worth considering
this so we at least have a working orca.

The solution:
* Once I booted the fedora 14 beta LiveCD, I start gnome-terminal.
* Still as the liveuser I do the following command to set the gconf key
/desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba to true:
gconftool-2 --set --type bool /desktop/gnome/interface/at-spi-corba true
* Then using su to become root, I install at-spi-python using yum:
yum --assumeyes install at-spi-python
* Finally I logout and back in (I think this is needed for the gconf key
change (to ensure the correct at-spi is used).

Now when I run orca it reads the screen fine. I also get orca not going
through the initial setup questions, but I wonder whether that is really
such a problem if reasonable defaults are used (particularly as we are
on a LiveCD).

Michael Whapples