laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 15:26:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 08:20 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:07:24 +0200,
>   Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I apologize for the inconvenience -- I should have probably notified the
> > desktop folks ahead that it was highly probable that l-b-g-gnome would
> > increase in size rather drastically (I myself had the info week ahead of
> > the packaging)...
>
> It's a bit more than an incovenience. It is breaking some spins. (In that
> they aren't going to make their target size without changes.)
> We either need a way to only get some of that stuff, or some way to not
> use that package for at least a few spins. We only have a few days to react
> to this. The two spins that went over size are probably going to have a problem
> with removing other software and we will probably want to look at some way
> to use a simpler backgrounds package. If you guys have some ideas in that
> direction it would help.
It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
size. So general info:

For gnome we need a xml file which actually adds the wallpaper into
wallpaper chooser. The one in current package points to xml which
describes the time-of-day wallpaper version. If you'd need gnome desktop
without time-of-day wallpaper you'd need to add two new xmls (one which
would describe which images are used at which sizes and another one
which would add it to background chooser). In theory, we could split the
-gnome subpackage into -gnome and -gnome-tod which however isn't what we
(design team) want as we want the time-of-day wallpaper used by default
on Desktop spin. It's set not in kickstart, but in gnome-desktop(3),
hence the requires.

For KDE we need the wallpaper description via .desktop file (in -kde
sub-package). AFAIK, KDE does not have support for time-of-day animation
so it does not pull in everything.

For LXDE and XFCE neither -gnome nor -kde sub-packages should be pulled
in and if they are, then it's wrong.

Regards,
Martin