F14 Beta RC3 images available for validation testing!

Donald Buchan malak at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 03:35:43 UTC 2010

FWIW I downloaded the F14 Beta-rc3 i686 liveCD to run it through a few
basic desktop tests, and there was one apparent hiccup.

When I turned on the printer, the system correctly identified my printer
-- an HP Deskjet F4180 with an integrated flatbed scanner -- and
automatically found and installed the necessary driver(s) and
dependencies.  However when I tried to use "simple scan" it still
insisted that it couldn't find a connected scanner, or that maybe it
wasn't turned on (ie. it was connected and turned on.)  I have xSane
installed on my F12 system, and as I recall all I did during the
post-install process was install xSane, and the scanner (and printer)
worked fine from the get-go.

Other mundane tests I did (I know that these aren't the tests asked for,
but then why do outside clients contract Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters
to test their "things" outside of the confines of the show?  For the
unconventional testing approach they'll use, or in my case here, the
mundane approach. :) ) :

- on the login screen, I changed the language to English (Canada) --
successful
- on the login screen, I changed the keyboard to Canada French (Legacy)
-- successful, and the layout worked once logged in, the correct
characters were where they were supposed to be
- once I logged in with the liveuser account, I changed the screen
resolution to 1280x1024 -- successful
- Firefox booted and brought up the usual first time Firefox page, and
in a second tab the Fedora search page -- successful
- Vinagre was tested to VNC into my home server's desktop through the
home network -- successful
- Terminal: top command -- successful
- Terminal: ifconfig -- successful
- Terminal: su command -- successful, but I found it unnerving that
there isn't a password for the root account; I suppose that assigning a
root password and publicizing it may actually be worse than not
assigning one at all, since some person will be lulled into thinking "oh
well it's password protected" not realizing that in not changing it, any
cracker who somehow manages to get into the system by whatever means
would easily try the password announced in the same place that innocent
liveCD users would find it: on a public web page!

Regards