f13 => rawhide upgrade notes

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Sep 25 17:55:47 UTC 2010

Since there is so much that's going to be new in Fedora 15 compared to
Fedora 14 (GNOME 3, GTK+-3, systemd, NetworkManager-0.9, and so on), the
Red Hat desktop team wanted to get an early start on running the new
stuff even before Fedora 14 is out.

So, I spent a few hours last night and this morning upgrading my primary
laptop from Fedora 13 to Rawhide. Generally worked better than I might
have expected... without too much work I got to a system that seems
basically usable.

One big caveat is that the result of a F14 => rawhide upgrade is a messy
hybrid -

$ rpm -qa | grep fc14 | wc -l
631
$ rpm -qa | grep fc15 | wc -l
701

It's not nearly a pure F15 system yet.

So, I thought I should dump out notes of the procedure I used and a few
snags I hit to help anybody else on the same path.

Upgrade procedure
=================

Step 1: Used preupgrade to upgrade from f13 to f14
  Worked apparently perfectly, very slick experience

  (Only real wart was that for encrypted root Anaconda has a
  "Enter passphrase to decrypt" [ ] This is a global passphrase"
  dialog, and the "global passphrase" thing is pretty hard to
  understand. "Use this passphrase for all partitions" ? Or just
  try it on the other partitions and ask me then if it
  didn't work?)

Step 2: Installed fedora-release-rawhide, disabled f14, enabled rawhide

Step 3: Switched to a VT and ran 'yum update --skip-broken'

  (I actually first tried 'telinit 3' and that didn't work right - the
  GNOME session was left up, VT's were gone, and the system hung when
  I then tried to reboot. Wonder if something got broken with the
  upstart => systemd => upstart adventure>)

  I had to remove a handful of various packages to get this to work,
  but I think they were all local builds or stuff I installed from 3rd
  party repositories.

Step 4: reboot

   Things were mostly working at this point,

Fixing the result
=================

 * I was left without a link from /usr/bin/emacs-<version>
   to /usr/bin/emacs, so I had to create that manually.

 * gtk3-engines didn't get installed on the upgrade, so I had
   to install that manually.

 * The GTK+ 3 module for ibus seems to be more or less broken.
   I had to remove ibus to get gtk3 applications to run without
   crashing. (Setting /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
   to gtk-im-context-simple might have work, but didn't
   immediately seem to for some reason, and I needed to get to
   a less crashy state.)

 * Accessibility modules were producing a ton of bad looking spew
   and dconf-editor had a gail/treeview related crash. I couldn't
   figure out if there is a way of turning off accessibility
   entirely through the new control center, so I turned off
   /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility. Strangely I had to
   log out and log in before GTK+ apps stopped loading the
   accessibility modules. g-s-d bug?

 * All outgoing ssh was hanging - turned out that gnome-keyring-prompt
   was hanging weirdly inside g_once_enter_init(); when I finally
   saw stderr, it was obviously a need for a rebuild because of
   struct size changes in gtk3. So, fired off a rebuild of
   gnome-keyring in koji.

Also noted:

 'killall gnome-settings-daemon' kills nm-applet, and leaves it in a
 state where it doesn't recover even after restarting g-s-d, until
 you log out and log back in. Weird.