customization of themes and colors in gnome 3 desktop in Fedora 15

Aleksandra Bookwar admin at bookwar.info
Fri Apr 15 21:50:21 UTC 2011

> The Releas Notes clearly indicate that gnome-tweak-tool is available,
> and how to install it in cases where specific changes are desired.
> There are other tweaks that tool doesn't address, and gsettings is
> useful for that larger superset.

My point with all four items in the list was to show you that this is
not a specific case when user will install and use gnome-tweak-tool.
And mentioning gsettings doesn't help here. Because even if gsettings
approach is supposed to be "officially supported", there is no way it
will be actually used instead of gnome-tweak-tool. And even official
docs do not suggest it as a solution for the problems I listed.

> Generally it's not good idea to guess or assume things in this way
> about others.  I promise not to make assumptions about your intentions
> or personal schedule and hope you'll do me the same courtesy. :-)

I supposed that there are not so many crazy persons in the world who
could spend all their time with web-surfing on some particular topic
instead of doing their real job, as I did. But ok, I won't do this
again. :)

> Again, I don't think that gives a representative sample of where GNOME
> 3's aiming.  By nature we're already restricting the population to
> "current Fedora users," which is a subset.

It seems to me that you are pretty sure already that there is no
possible ways to get the representative sample at all. Then, though I
do not understand why fedoraforum.org and #fedora channel doesn't
represent rather big group of Fedora users, I'd better stop discussing
this matter.

> I don't think shipping F15 with GNOME 3.0 is a problem -- it's a
> feature and a point of pride.  Sure, it's not perfect, but you could
> say the same thing about GNOME 2.12 or 2.24 (random picks, I don't
> have any specific beef with those releases either).  For every release
> there's a point where content or code has to freeze, and further
> changes need to target the next release so the product can ship.

I didn't mean that shipping is the problem. I wanted to say that Gnome
3 we are going to ship in F15 does have this particular problem.

> I recommend working with the upstream in a constructive way to help
> move 3.2 forward.

I don't think you need to specifically recommend this to me, since I
am already participating. I am rather happy with reaction on my
bug-reporting I get in GBZ, even when bugreports I've posted appear to
be false alarm or very stupid ones. But this mail I wrote here is also
a part of this constructive work as I see it.

There is no fighting here, I gave you the report about feedback Gnome
3 gets and I asked you to consider how this feedback could effect the
Gnome 3 development and packaging.

--
Best regards,
Aleksandra Bookwar