fed 15 + gnome 3 works nice, but ...

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Thu Apr 28 08:57:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13:12AM -0700, Michael Knepher wrote:

> No official configuration tools will be forthcoming for some time (if at
> all). With a little tinkering, however, it is possible to change the
> appearance. See
> http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
> for a good overview. You can also install gnome-tweak-tool and
> gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme and change the entire theme. A good
> source for alternative themes is
> http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/gallery/28081982
>
> Gnome-tweak-tool will also allow you to change the icon theme.
>
> Most indications are that there is a good chance that the way things
> work internally may change in 3.2, so developers are warning that
> extensions that work now may not work with 3.2. Whether they plan to
> stabilize things and at least make gnome-shell more friendly for
> customization (if not officially supporting it) remains to be seen.

Thanks for the information. I will try a 'little/lot' of tinkering.
Sort of like in my blackbox/fluxbox days again.

Though I don't feel happy about it at all. The developers are (and
have been) doing great work (the overall concept of gnome 3 is
innovative and promising) but are'nt they getting just a tiny bit
too authoritative and dictatorial: opensource should be about
freedom and choice. And the choice should not only be 'you can still
choose another window manager'.

Gnome 2.3 had quite a lot of choice. For example when they added a
second panel (do they have laptops with 5:4 format screens?) you
could remove it, hide it, or put the panels at the sides.
(I removed it).

> For hiding app icons, the alacarte menu editor should still work with
> gnome-shell.

It does (sort of).

Alexander