GNOME3 feature page - updated scoped and comments

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Feb 9 17:45:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 16:33 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 02:52 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > If you're reading an e-book in fullscreen, your e-book reader should
> > probably inhibit the idle timer so that 1) your screen doesn't dim 2)
> > your screen doesn't lock when you're reading an e-book.
>
> Good to know it's an application bug ( instead of kernel/X/Gnome
> specific one ) thanks.
>
> > That would solve all your problems above. For the rest, be patient and
> > wait for the recently written code to get downstream.
>
> Will do :)
>
> No comments on my "power management profiles" idea proposal.

Profiles don't work when you need to go into the preferences to switch
them. Especially in that case when it's to work-around what an
application does.

The way the system behaves should really be "helped" by the
applications. If the application knows that the user is reading a book,
then it should disable idle. That's already what Totem and Evince do
when you're watching a movie or doing a presentation.

> Like it sucked and we got something better in store for users or yeah it
> could work but needs some work :)

Cheers