Future of panel applets

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Feb 11 19:14:56 UTC 2011

Hi Seth,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> So - there's a way for firefox to know that plugins are non-essential
> and to ignore them in an upgrade. That they are plugins.
>
> There's no way for yum to know that an applet is not essential. We have
> no information to use to determine that 'if an update is being held up
> by an applet remove the applet'.

I understand all the details of how things are currently implemented
today =)  I'm just trying to look at it more from a UX perspective;
basically the intersection of what would be a good experience and how
hard it would be to implement.

> that's what the obsoletes info is providing - that hint.

I get that.  But the point I was trying to make is that in this case
the user chose explicitly to install something over the base (similar
to Firefox) and we're just silently removing it (not like Firefox).
It's hard to see how to do better though without categorizing packages
and fixing the upgrade process to understand how to treat packages
differently.