RFE: Restart option inside Gnome Shell

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Feb 16 15:19:41 UTC 2011

Hello,

During the first week of February, I had downloaded a Fedora 15 nightly
Live CD ISO. After booting into the Live image from my USB stick and
testing some of the new Fedora 15 features, I desired to restart my
computer and return to my Fedora 14 installation on my SSD drives. Upon
searching throughout the Gnome Shell I found no option to restart. I did
not want to shut down my computer. I felt trapped in Gnome Shell.

I request a restart option in Gnome Shell. A restart option has been
necessary functionality for computers since before I was born.

If usage cases are necessary I will provide a few below:
-Reinitialize hardware that has frozen
   Some USB devices or PCI-based devices lockup and require a restart to
reinitialize.
-Live CD images.
   Users running Fedora temporarily do not need to shut down and power
off the hardware. A Restart is the only option necessary.
-Software updates
   Kernel updates require a system reboot. I do not need to shut down
and power off my hardware to perform this.
-Customer support
   When dealing with less-informed computer users, it is sometimes
necessary to walk them through a restart of the system. They do not need
to power off the hardware (and sometimes they do not know how to power
on their hardware).

Thanks,
Michael

P.S.
I realize there is the "reboot" shell command, or "shutdown -r" command,
however, this is a non-aesthetic solution.