Per user vs. system settings in GNOME 3 (was Re: How do we change fonts now)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:59:18 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 17.02.2011, 22:40 +0100 schrieb drago01:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> >> "text size".
> >
> > So this is a system-wide setting??
>
> No, "system settings" is what the panel is called, it has nothing to
> do with "system wide"

In system-settings "Universal Access" is listed under "System" together
with other settings like "Users" or "Time and Date". This is confusing.
People need to know what changes affect the whole system and what only
affects their account. Currently we have this by separating
"Preferences" from "Administration".

In F15 under System we have:
      * User Accounts (system-wide)
      * Universal Access (per user)
      * System Info (not even a setting)
      * Software Updates (per user)
      * Date and Time (system-wide)
      * Color (per user unless you click "make default")

I think this list is inconsistent.

Regards,
Christoph