How to change themes (was Re: How do we change fonts now)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 11:20:20 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, den 18.02.2011, 14:36 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:

> 1) The xsettings manager implementation in gnome-settings-daemon is now
> backed by dconf, no longer gconf. So to change, you can e.g.
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Clearlooks'
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name 'Sans'
>
> 2) The theme setting affects both GTK+ 2 and 3, and the only theme that
> is currently available for both is 'Adwaita'.

Thanks a lot, Matthias.

Setting the theme to Adwaita did the trick. Both GTK+ 2 and 3 are more
consistent now and use the same color palette.

However I noticed that the GTK+ 2 theme looks very different from the
GTK+ 3 version, e.g. the menus have rounded corners while they should
have sharp edges. Overall it looks very similar to Clearlooks.

What can we do to get a more consistent look in Fedora 15? As I doubt we
will be able to port everything to GTK+ 3 we need to provide a better
match and more  matching themes. What would be the best starting point
to bring Adwaita to GTK+ 2 or Clearlooks to GTk+ 3?

Regards,
Christoph