gdm changes and the live cd

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Mar 5 16:11:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 10:46:17 -0500,
  Lars Herrmann <herrmann at redhat.com> wrote:
> which get's you back to what's the purpose of the LiveCD. Isn't the
> primary use case to give users an impression of what they would get with
> an install - without taking risk and time to actually install ?

Note that there isn't just one livecd. Even if you are mainly referring to
the Desktop spin, there are a few other spins that use it as a base. The
use cases for these different spins could be quite different.

As the maintainer of the games spin, which is based off the Desktop spin,
my view of the purpose is that is is for demoing Fedora. I don't think
running off optical media is a good way to use it. It may also be used for
installs. However, I also use custom spins of USB devices, so I don't
need to have as much trust in strange PCs when I want to use them and so
that I can use Fedora instead of Windows. In this latter case I don't want
to be asked about installs every boot.