Disabling effects per display

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:24:20 UTC 2011

On 05/17/2011 05:54 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 08:41 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable the effects which happens when pressing the
>> windows button or when clicking per display connected to the computer?
>>
>> If you need a use case where this is turning out to be terrible sit down
>> in your living room with your partner hook your laptop to your tv via
>> hdmi start playing the latest episode of your partner favourite show.
>>
>> Notice that pressing the window button on the keyboard or moving the
>> mouse to "Activities"  will produce a sound from you partner at the same
>> time that will distracts you from the work you a trying to get done on
>> the laptop at the same time....
> there's gotta be a point at which we can't consider every possible use
> case, and this has to be close to it. Frankly, if you want to run
> completely different things on two displays connected to the same
> computer, I'd suggest you should probably be running one X session per
> head; right now you're quite badly abusing the concept of a desktop
> session.

Since you are accusing me to be "badly abusing the concept of a desktop
session" please enlighten me on what the concept of an desktop session
is and what are the correct usage of it and I'm pretty sure the Gnome
Developers would also like to hear what the correct usage of multi
display setup should behave in Gnome since last time I checked they had
not figured out themselves.

The same problem exist if you are doing a presentation on a projector
hook up to your laptop on a conference and you want to do some work on
the laptop without that work interrupting what's being presented to the
audience.

Having the ability to have the effects tied only to what is considered
to be a primary monitory does not seem to be unreasonable to me since
you dont want to disrupt what's being presented to you or audience on a
different display then primary one and the current Gnome-shell effects
currently does that each time you press the window button or move the
mouse pointer to activities.

JBG