tracker in F16

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Wed Sep 14 16:22:56 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 10:41 PM, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 14:01 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> oop, good catch. I did suspect it's going to become more a part of the
>> GNOME Experience from now on, though I think I missed the bit where
>> tracker beat zeitgeist =)
>
> Yeah, tracker is a required dependency of gnome-documents now. As
> Bastien says, we should try to identify and fix possible bugs and
> resource issues upstream.
>
> I also think tracker should use a different default configuration; these
> are the changes I think we should make:
> - removable media indexing should be off by default - I don't know if
> this is used by the totem grilo integration, but it's not by
> gnome-documents. Anyway, I think the best way to approach this is
> tracker should just be aware of removable media and applications who
> make use of them should be able to have them crawled on-demand, but that
> needs fixing in tracker first.
> - indexing should be enabled on battery - right now it's disabled. If we
> disable indexing on battery, applications like gnome-documents will be
> "locked" into the last view of the local file entries in the tracker
> database before you unplugged the cable, which is very ugly.

I think it would also be good to evaluate the default inotify limits and
consider raising them (or decreasing the number of inotify watches
Tracker uses).  When running Tracker, I've had other software such as
Dropbox complain that it cannot use inotify because I have too many
watches registered.

- Michael