include LibreOffice by default

Donald Buchan malak at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 01:41:18 UTC 2012

> Citation needed on that percentage. :) I think a large number of people
>
>  1) don't need an office suite at all
>  2) need Microsoft Office for compatibility or work-mandated reasons
>  3) use Google Docs or another online service
>
> Since LibreOffice is relatively large, I can see a reasonable argument for
> leaving it out if it lets us put more shiny things into the LiveCD.

Maybe I just don't get that "the cloud" doesn't always refer to
"cumulonimbus" ...

0) Since I'm being literal here, what *are* the numbers?  How about the
install stats of LibreOffice resulting from the net install disks?  Are
there any stats on the absence of LO yum updates on installs known to have
previously having had LO installed?
1) ??? -- although I also had this response when I once sent out a
birthday party invitation in .pps converted from the native (then)
openoffice.org format and people said "I don't use an office suite at
home, I use it at the office; at home I want to relax"
2) I'd say Sun and now the Document Foundation have been successful; while
my work computer, supplied by my employer, has MS on it, for a sideline
job I do work all the time in LO and no one knows except that I happened
to have mentioned it once (and yes they all use MS Office) ...
3) I used google docs once at someone's behest so that we could mutually
plan a weekend, and guess who didn't bother to use it (here's a hint, I've
already said I used it on that one occasion ...)

I'm in the camp of "install it properly off the DVD", but I know that
there are tech issues preventing it on F18.  I have been wanting OO.o / LO
on the live CD since at least 2010 ( http://www.malak.ca/blog/?p=227 ) but
of course as a grateful user I will not push this point. :)