Evince and annotation support

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue May 29 10:25:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 12:37 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> I found an already filed bug[1] :-)
> The bug is filed against 2.9.x, and it's still applicable in the current
> version:
> evince-3.4.0-2.fc17.x86_64
>
> So, should I file a new bug?

No, one bug is enough.

> I am now looking for highlighting support, which appears to be a work in
> progress[2]. Now, with the new gnome3, there's another application
> called "gnome-documents". I am wondering if evince and gnome-documents
> are going to work together, or is evince going to be phased out in
> favour of gnome-documents? I mean, if evince is going to be phased out,
> it might be better to work on adding all the features to gnome-documents
> instead?
>
> It's a little confusing at the moment: if you use the activity search
> box, documents opens up, but if you use nautilus, evince opens up.
>
> Would someone know what the plan is?

gnome-documents and the shell search will be the primary interface to
all your documents, including preview. It will not support
format-specific features and editing, though. That's best left to
individual applications, such as evince for pdf.

I don't think nautilus launching evince is any more suprising than it
launching oowriter or gedit. nautilus is just no longer playing the
central role for searching and viewing all your documents that it had in
GNOME 2 when rendering the desktop. That role is being taken over by
gnome-documents.