Remove Gnome desktop on F18 ?

Jozef Zigmund jzigmund at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 14:14:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 18:17 +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 19:26 -0500, Donald Buchan wrote:
> > yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>
> As far as I know, yum shell helps installing and removing other DEs
>
> sudo yum shell
> > remove @gnome-desktop
> > install @cinnamon-desktop
> > ts list #have a look at the transaction set
> > ts run
>
> For some reason, groupremove "GNOME Desktop" tells me that no such group
> is available, even though grouplist lists it. Not sure what's broken
> there.

Yeah I didn't notice before, but it's the same for me.

# yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop"
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
No group named GNOME Desktop exists
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Trying to remove "systemd", which is protected
Error: Trying to remove "yum", which is protected

Anyway "yum remove @gnome-desktop" removes properly gnome-shell with all
dependencies.

> (This is on an up to date F18 x86_64)
> --