The new gnome-software application

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 19:29:24 UTC 2013

Ryan Lerch (rlerch at redhat.com) said:
> Just wondering if anyone has seen the work GNOME has been doing on
> the new version of GNOME Software? It has the same name as the
> packagekit GUI that is currently in Fedora, so i assume that it is
> going to replace it, but with more of a focus on Applications rather
> than Packages.
>
> There is already a working version of it that can be easily built
> from source on Fedora 18:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/
>
> And it seems to be based off the designs that are mocked up here:
> https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software
>

> I recently just built it from source, and in its current state, it
> lists the applications I have installed, and Applications that need
> updating. (I assume that it is defining "Application" as a package
> with a desktop file) Also, in the "updates" section, it lists an
> item "OS Update version 3.4.3" that seems to bundle all of the other
> (non-application) package updates together. It does not yet have
> individual overview pages for each application like the mockups.
>
> Does anyone here have any more thoughts on this new tool, and how
> this approach might interact with the way we package and distribute
> software in Fedora?

Well, it does seem to hit many of the areas covered by Spot's presentation
at DevConf as areas we need to cover and greatly improve in Fedora. Ryan,
I believe you were involved in some of the designs there?

In any case, it's an area where we're sorely lacking, and it would be a
large shame if those working on this in GNOME can't work together with those
working in the Fedora space to satisfy the needs already mentioned there.

Bill