The new gnome-software application

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 22:13:53 UTC 2013

On 5 March 2013 21:39, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> It's not just the using of Fedora I'm looking at here. Realistically, this
> thing would only end up being used on SuSE/Novell & Fedora/RHEL as a start -

I guess, although the long tail of smaller distros have traditionally
supported PackageKit as they get a lot of application support for the
small cost of writing a backend shim.

> Ubuntu is obviously going to go their own way.

I'm not even considering them.

> I'd assume you have some
> requirements from SuSE people and are talking to them about what they'd want
> to add here; I'd expect the same from the requirements we have for Fedora.

I talked to a lot of people at the AppStream conference from SuSE, and
they are in the same boat as Fedora. They've slightly got ahead of us,
as they generate and ship appstream metadata in the repos by default.

> Especially since we don't want to have to reinvent this tool for every
> desktop that happens to be out there, as much fun as that is.

I totally agree with you there.

Richard.