The new gnome-software application

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 08:10:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 03/05/2013 06:06 PM, drago01 wrote:
>> I still don't understand the whole fuzz about that .. it can't be that
>> hard to ship a bunch of icons and text ...
>
> IIRC there is/was some kind of issue with shipping a bunch of icons with
> varying licenses in the same package.

Which issue? It is not like icons "link" to each other it is just an
aggregation.
If we can ship them in an ISO we can ship them in rpm package as well.

I can't think of any license that forbids an icon to be in the same
package then an icon with a different license.
(This would make that license non free as this is nothing then an
arbitrary restriction).

> There's no reason why we couldn't provide some kind of API to pull the
> icons from Fedora Packages tho
> (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/) which would allow access to
> the icons without having to put them in a big megapackage.

Not sure that scales unless the API provide a way to get them in
batches but one by one isn't really the most efficient way ...
we can do better we have the icons after all.