The new gnome-software application

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:03:15 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 21:58, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> No central point of failure but screenshots which you previously suggested
> was be served via the web.

Sure, I think many fewer users will be looking at the details for each
application. Most users know pretty much what they want to install or
remove (e.g. install gimp, or update firefox) and this doesn't involve
looking at screenshots. Only users that want to know what apps are
will want to drill down to the screenshots and ratings for each app.

Of course, we could include screenshots for common apps like firefox
and gimp, and also include offline ratings too, but you've got to
balance local storage v.s. remove bandwidth and I decided screenshots
were probably the right point to cut.

Richard.