The new gnome-software application

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 21:50:21 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 22:48, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> This is the point I am trying to make. There seems to be all these different
> parts / plugins / APIs / interfaces that are being suggested to solve this
> issue, however, no documentation or plan on how we can tie them all together
> to make a seamless experience for a user to install an Application.

It's not quite a high-level "how do I install this application"
document, but I've landed the "plugin" branch in gnome-software. This
includes a README that explains how all the plugins fit together:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/tree/src/plugins/README --
I'll be writing an appstream plugin soon and ximion is offering to
write a listaller plugin too.

Also, since yesterday thanks to Ralph Bean we've populated the
hardcoded-rating plugin with actual values from FAS. When
fedora-tagger provides the needed API[1] then I'll switch
gnome-software to use that.

I'll re-iterate, gnome-software is still alpha software, and I've not
yet switched the updates view over to the new plugin architecture
(although popular and installed both work). It's also not had much
profiling done, so it still takes nearly a second for the main UI to
appear. The idea is the UI appears immediately and switching between
tabs is smooth and instantaneous.

Richard

[1] https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedora-tagger/issues/59#issuecomment-14549356