Improving the Fedora boot experience

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 22:16:48 UTC 2013

On 11/03/13 09:58 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> - Turn off the graphical grub screen
>
> Even if we are not able to suppress the boot menu entirely, or having a clean boot menu like this: https://raw.github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/system-lock-login-boot/bootmenu.png, avoiding the graphical screen will be a win in terms of reduced visual noise.

The intended design here is that grub has a 0 timeout if installed in a
single boot configuration, and a 5 second timeout if installed in a
multiboot configuration.

Since the switch to grub2, it has in fact had a 5 second timeout in each
case. This is basically a bug and really should just be fixed as such -
except as mjg59's note that some systems now apparently make it hard to
bring up the menu in the 0 timeout case dictates.

The "progress bar that indicates the progress in 'booting the
bootloader'" does not indicate 'progress in booting the bootloader',
it's just a graphical representation of the timeout. It counts down 5
seconds. Admittedly I don't see what a progress-bar-like-widget
contributes there, but it's not *really* a progress bar, it just looks
like one - it doesn't actually take 5 seconds to 'boot' grub.

It seems to me like we might want to co-ordinate work on the multiboot
grub config fd.o spec thing you're working on, and revising how we do
bootloader configuration, if we're going to do that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey