Improving the Fedora boot experience

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 13 17:08:09 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 11:30 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Can I suggest that the live installer is a much better approach to
> accessible installation ? You have the entire desktop accessibility
> infrastructure available there, including on-screen keyboard, screen
> reader, zoom, keyboard a11y, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but live install essentially dd's the live
media's system to the hard drive and the user cannot configure the
software selection beyond what's provided in the live install media, right?

For headless servers (which I admit are far less important to support in
Fedora than they are for RHEL, but the installer is the same regardless)
this isn't a workable solution because the user would then post-install
have to remove all of the X and GNOME bits. For Fedora, I could this
still being a valid concern for someone wanting to deploy Fedora to a
cloud service to develop/host something on it - but then again I don't
know if the VNC to graphical anaconda would work in such an environment,
or if interfacing through VNC would make brltty not work correctly. I
could see though, if you have no intention of using the graphical
environment in a cloud usage scenario and perhaps even no way of
accessing it, not wanting it running at all since you get charged per
CPU & RAM usage and I imagine having a running graphical stack, even if
you're not actively using it, would use more CPU cycles and RAM than not
having it installed at all.

There isn't a way to run a live media graphical install and have it
result in a non-graphical system, is there?

In any case, using the DVD installer will enable you to run through a
graphical install process that results in a headless system and there is
a strong set of use cases for the installer needing to support that
right now.

~m