Fedora Logo on the login screen

Cosimo Cecchi ccecchi at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 17:09:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 12:26 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue 19 Mar 2013 12:22:51 PM EDT, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> > Good question; having it always visible in the desktop is a huge step
> > backwards of course (and we agree it's a non starter). My personal
> > opinion is it's debatable you should present it at all, since the user
> > knows what it downloaded and installed himself.
>
> Let's be fair - in a multi-situation, it is necessarily that only one
> of the users involved installed the system. In a computer lab situation
> or in an employee preload situation (maybe the latter wouldn't be
> Fedora, but RHEL) the users did not install it themselves.

That's true. But in a preloaded/locked-down situation where the user
doesn't have full, or any, control on the software installed on the
machine the requirements might be different:
- the logo would likely not be the stock distributor's one, but one
identifying the organization providing that leased/temporary service to
the user. I can think of a number of reasons related to
billing/support/accountability as of why this makes a lot more sense
than in the "personal use" case.
- it's still unclear to me the benefit to the user and/or the
distributor in showing a logo in that scenario. For example, if the
machine has a corporate lockdown, that fact alone might discourage users
trying to install the same OS on another personal machine. This is in my
opinion related to the question I was asking in the second part of my
above previous message.

Cheers,
Cosimo