Fedora Logo on the login screen

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 17:16:52 UTC 2013

Cosimo Cecchi (ccecchi at redhat.com) said:
> On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 14:38 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > - the logo would likely not be the stock distributor's one, but one
> > > identifying the organization providing that leased/temporary service to
> > > the user. I can think of a number of reasons related to
> > > billing/support/accountability as of why this makes a lot more sense
> > > than in the "personal use" case.
> >
> > ... which, since many distributors of GNOME need to account for this case,
> > seems reasonable enough reason to have that space reserved in both the
> > login screen and any boot-time display (e.g. plymouth) already for a logo,
> > and for Fedora to put its logo there.
>
> It sounds like we're going to have a logo in Fedora in any case, but
> just for the sake of making my point clear, I really don't see why the
> former (having that possibility available for specific use cases of some
> users) would necessarily imply the latter (put a Fedora logo there for
> all users).

If nothing else, having it be the default makes it a good test case to
ensure that it works, and also to give those that want to customize it
later an entry point.

With respect to having a logo, the suggestion posted by Ryan of having
it center-bottom would seem to be the cleanest one - there it would seem
less likely to me to distract from the center-focus of the login screen
itself, but would be notable/sized enough that a reasonable logo could be
used instead of the top-left titlebar approach.

Bill