Fedora Logo on the login screen

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 19:12:17 UTC 2013

seth vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
> I completely disagree - This is a fedora desktop list - I recommended a
> simple and technical solution to our disagreement. There was nothing
> inflammatory about it whatsoever. I recommended using another,
> available, program that steps around the issue and is immediately
> available to fedora.
>
> If this were a gnome mailing list I would agree that it would be
> inappropriate but this is not a gnome mailing list - this is the fedora
> desktop list.
>
> If you could address the technical issues of my suggestion, I'd be
> happy to hear.

It is in effect, the nuclear option - a disagreement over where to put
a logo leads to replacing the entire subsystem used to log in.

While we do make changes from upstream GNOME in the desktop spin in terms
of packages (epiphany -> firefox being the obvious one), there are concrete
functional reasons for doing so. The ability add a logo is *a* functional
reason, but it would seem to me to be a rather specious one for changing
all of the rest of the functionality (when it can just be patched in.)

An example would be switching the KDE spin to use GDM because we think
there should be network & A11Y logos in the top right. It's not a
particularly efficient solution.

The observations I see from the sidelines:
- some people think there shouldn't be a logo
- some people think there should be a logo
- some people feel that there is a concerted effort in upstream GNOME
  to deemphasize and/or remove downstream branding. (The existence of a concept called
  GNOME OS probably doesn't help work against that perception.)

The first two of those is going to lead to natural conflict. The last is
going to exacerbate it and bring lots of emotions into it. And that's where
we are now. Still, I'd like to think we can bring it back down, and
just concentrate on the simplest way to fix any logo issues in GDM.

Bill