Fedora Logo on the login screen

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Mar 21 19:11:19 UTC 2013

While I don't want to prolong the login screen thread unnecessarily, now
that *hopefully* it's concluded I wanted to reply to this briefly.

> It was expected that you could just swap out DMs (like skvidal thinks is
> still the case) and everything else should just deal with it. The
> system-config-* tools were part of Fedora and used across all desktops -
> it didn't matter what desktop you ran, you used system-config-keyboard
> and system-config-display and so on.

It's not just about the client though - several of these tools were
designed for more "enterprise" use cases, like system-config-httpd.  At
the moment as far as I'm aware the current direction is that
gnome-control-center will be focused more on things that matter to
client ("desktop") systems.

> I think other desktops still think of things somewhat in those terms,
> but GNOME definitely doesn't: GNOME wants its own stack, almost top to
> bottom.

It's difficult to speak of a diverse collection of individuals as
collectively "wanting" something, but I think even looking just at those
who are the strongest proponents of vertical integration, this is an
inaccurate characterization.

But there are real world problems that go straight down the vertical
stack, and are easily re-broken if one of the components gets out of
alignment (i.e. is swapped with a different package).  The init system
shutdown versus suspend is a perfect example (covered here
http://lwn.net/Articles/520892/ ).

So no one wants a stack just to have a stack - it's about solving
problems.